I scroll down and read the next requirement to implement…Discount. Hmm, I think I can do this easily. Let’s see.

Knock on Wood

Jinx, no take backs

Let’s do the easy part first. I modfied my PriceResult class to take a DiscountRatePercent and then to calculate the discount in the total. Add a test to verify and boom, done. Easy peasy. I added another test to check that discount and tax were working together just to make sure.

Interfaces

Adding the new interfaces was a challenge. First, I realized I had a small mistake from the last part. After calling ForProduct(x) you should be able to see the WithTaxRate, WithDiscountRate, and GetResult because I think you should be able to call GetResult immediatly if you want. But my ITaxRate interface did not allow that. After looking at this tutorial I finally just bit the bullet and took his advice and made a grammar matrix like he did.

My Grammar Matrix

With that I realized my IProductResult didn’t really make sense and I really needed to modify my existing interfaces to include a GetResult method and a new ITaxOrDiscountRate to include all options. The amazing thing was, after I changed all the interfaces and updated my price calculator, my existing console app still worked! This makes me think I should add tests for the api structure but I’m concerned about those tests being brittle right now as I’m still desiging it.

So overall, not too bad. My commit was a little messier than it had to be due to me remapping the interfaces. But it’s very readable and the Roslyn Code Metrics extension I’m using is still only reporting a max cyclomatic complexity of 2. So overall, I’m feeling pretty good.

I thought I had my head wrapped around it but after looking at a different tutoria

You can see the code at this point on my Github.